Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Make It: Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer

DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer From Cookie Sheet

Every January, my goal is always to try and get more organized.  I have every good intention, but inevitably those intentions go right out the window as soon as things start to get busy.  Not this year.  This year I’m sticking to it.  And this cute little magnetic and chalkboard organizer is going to sit right by my computer to help me. 

It only takes a few supplies to make this cute organizational board.  I had most things on hand (you probably do too), and I only had to buy the cookie sheet and hooks for $1 each at the dollar store.  Want to make one too?

DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer From Cookie Sheet

1) Gather all of your supplies.  You’ll need:  Metal cookie sheet, scrapbook paper, black poster board (this is your chalkboard), Mod Podge, paint brush or sponge, round corner punch (optional).

2) Measure how big you want your chalkboard (black poster board) and add one inch (your scrapbook paper will overlap this once it’s adhered in place).  Measure and cut your scrapbook paper and black poster board to fit snug in the cookie sheet.  Since the corners of my cookie sheet were round, I used a rounded corner punch on the top corners of the scrap paper and the bottom corners of the black poster board.

3)  Evenly apply your Mod Podge on the entire cookie sheet.  Do not leave big glops, as this may warp your paper.

4)  Adhere your black poster board first and firmly smooth out any wrinkles or air pockets.  Apply a very thin layer of Mod Podge on the extra inch at the top of the black poster board, then place your scrap paper on top.  Smooth out any wrinkles or air pockets.  Try not to push any Mod Podge out onto your chalkboard, because chalk won’t write over it.  Immediately blot away any excess if it seeps through.

5) Get out your chalk, stick on your magnets, and get organized!

DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer From Cookie Sheet

DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer From Cookie Sheet

See more details about the calendar I made to perfectly fit this small space HERE and go  HERE to print it for free.  I wanted hangers for various things, and I found these adhesive backed ones at the dollar store.  I cut magnets to fit and they work great.

DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer From Cookie Sheet

I used an easel to sit my organizer on my desk, but you can also hang it by drilling holes for a ribbon or adhering wire to the back.

Check out another great New Years resolution craft over at Craft E Magee: Make your own yoga mat strap.

Think of me as unexpected turbulence magnet from HERE.

Happy organizing, DIY’ers!

~julee~

15 comments:

  1. I always keep two calendars in my house. One pocket sized one that is always in my purse, and one in my desk drawer. When it comes to remembering appointments, I just plug them into my iPhone calendar reminder with alerts. Since my phone is always with me, this seems to be the best way to keep myself organized. My phone will then go off and remind me of everything I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, Marla. I know I love this memo board though, because I love to see what I need to do each morning before I head to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling little memo board! Love it! Came by from the blog hop and looking forward to following along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I am totally do this! Love it!! Thanks for stopping by my blog too! I am your newest GFC follower :)

    http://www.mythriftychic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome project, Julee! I am sure it will help you stay organized. I find it to be quite the ongoing challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julee, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Friday Chaos.

    What a darling organizer board, and totally doable. I never would have known that black poster board could be used as chalkboard!

    Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julee,
    This is so cute. I love this. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    Melanie @ Keep It Simple and Fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog with great content. I just discovered your blog. Newest follower.
    Lura
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this idea....new follower via Gfc...http;//ndnman23.blogspot.com...Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that! I too get all 'MUST GET ORGANIZED!' every January, so I totally relate!

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found you through the GFC Collective - I love this project! Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-18-and-country.html







    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two out of three of my kids are special needs and between me and my husband, we work 6 jobs...we also have one kid doing basketball...which we are coaching/team mom, and one kid doing cheerleading. This kind of thing is perfect for our insane schedule. Thank you for posting. This will be great for our family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice gonna try this weekend with the kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, thank you! Please leave me a link to your blog so that I may pay you a visit, as well. I try very hard to follow back all of my readers!