Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Make It: Magnetic Chalkboard Organizer
Every January, my goal is always to try and get more organized. I have every good intention, but inevitably those intentions go right out the window as soon as things start to get busy. Not this year. This year I’m sticking to it. And this cute little magnetic and chalkboard organizer is going to sit right by my computer to help me.
It only takes a few supplies to make this cute organizational board. I had most things on hand (you probably do too), and I only had to buy the cookie sheet and hooks for $1 each at the dollar store. Want to make one too?
1) Gather all of your supplies. You’ll need: Metal cookie sheet, scrapbook paper, black poster board (this is your chalkboard), Mod Podge, paint brush or sponge, round corner punch (optional).
2) Measure how big you want your chalkboard (black poster board) and add one inch (your scrapbook paper will overlap this once it’s adhered in place). Measure and cut your scrapbook paper and black poster board to fit snug in the cookie sheet. Since the corners of my cookie sheet were round, I used a rounded corner punch on the top corners of the scrap paper and the bottom corners of the black poster board.
3) Evenly apply your Mod Podge on the entire cookie sheet. Do not leave big glops, as this may warp your paper.
4) Adhere your black poster board first and firmly smooth out any wrinkles or air pockets. Apply a very thin layer of Mod Podge on the extra inch at the top of the black poster board, then place your scrap paper on top. Smooth out any wrinkles or air pockets. Try not to push any Mod Podge out onto your chalkboard, because chalk won’t write over it. Immediately blot away any excess if it seeps through.
5) Get out your chalk, stick on your magnets, and get organized!
See more details about the calendar I made to perfectly fit this small space HERE and go HERE to print it for free. I wanted hangers for various things, and I found these adhesive backed ones at the dollar store. I cut magnets to fit and they work great.
I used an easel to sit my organizer on my desk, but you can also hang it by drilling holes for a ribbon or adhering wire to the back.
Check out another great New Years resolution craft over at Craft E Magee: Make your own yoga mat strap.
Think of me as unexpected turbulence magnet from HERE.
Happy organizing, DIY’ers!