Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Make It: Leather Cuff

leather cuff bracelet tutorial

Know what’s fun? When someone compliments you on something you’re wearing and you blurt out, “I made it!!”. Making your own pretty little leather cuff arm candy is a breeze and only takes a few supplies. Are you ready to be complimented?

DIY Leather Cuff Tutorial
leather cuff bracelet tutorial

1) You’ll need: Leather or vinyl, sew in snaps with thread and needle (or a snap kit if your leather is thick), strong glue (tacky glue, super glue, hot glue, or fabric glue), and a pattern piece. 2) Make a pattern from paper by measuring the length around your wrist, and approximately 2-inches wide (or wider if you like). Cut the leather from this pattern. 3) Pattern pieces: One wrist cuff and one 2inx1/3in piece. 4) Find the middle of the wrist strap and pinch it into a fold. You may add a couple small dots of glue between the folds on the underside. 5) Wrap your small piece tightly around the folds. 6) Glue the small piece tightly on the underside.  Snip off any excess. 7) Add your snaps. My leather was soft and thin, so I could easily use sew in snaps. 8) Finish both sides of your snaps.  9)  Wear it out and brag on your awesomeness.

leather cuff bracelet tutorial

Tips:  You can purchase leather and vinyl at fabric stores, but you may have an old leather item laying around that can be repurposed for this project.  My leather came from a torn leather skirt found at the thrift store.

Do you enjoy making your own accessories?  If you’ve made any lately, share a link to your blog in the comments – I’d love to come check it out!

Happy making, DIY’ers!

~julee~

17 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I love cuffs, but I only have one. I think I might be able to find some old leather or something to cut up so I could make one of these for myself.

    Great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried this once and failed! I need to try again - it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so darling!! I have been so wanting to make something like this for a while. Thanks for the tutorial! I'll let you know how it turns out :)
    ~Karen
    www.sewstitchincute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have the one you made from the accessories swap! I get compliments on it every time I wear it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! and it looks doable : ) .

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog you have...wanna follow each other?
    please follow with GFC, just leave me a comment and I'll follow u back!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - that is so cute! I recently acquired a few pieces of leather and I am trying to figure out what to do with it! Looks like I need a new bracelet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is adorable! thank you for the tutorial:) I would never think I could make something like this......but I'm gonna try now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. we Love to make our own accessories but our blog being new we have not yet posted! I made something similar but used a grommet for the snap! Thanks for sharing!

    Denise
    http://silhouettedefemme.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so a cute idea, Julee! I love the shape of the cuff and I love that wonderful tomato red.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh this is super cute and seems pretty easy as well! Great DIY.
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's adorable and looks so easy! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Hope you can stop by over at msmorgansrealitycheck.blogspot.com to check out the newest posts (including my 30 during 30 list)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I have a very small wrist that many bracelets and cuffs don't it so I love to make my own---and save money at the same time

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, thank you! Please leave me a link to your blog so that I may pay you a visit, as well. I try very hard to follow back all of my readers!