Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Weight Watcher Friendly Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms

IMG_7575
That’s a mouthful.  I’ve really been trying to recommit 100 percent to Weight Watchers lately.  To date I have lost 70 lbs, but in the last few months, nothing.  I haven’t gained though, so I still feel good.  Today I was hungry.  Like really, crazy hungry, but committed to staying within my points.  So I was looking for something hearty and filling that would be very low in points.  When I saw the box of mushrooms in the produce drawer I knew that would be my jumping off point.  So armed with some goodies from the fridge I set to work.  These mushrooms have only 1 pt for an entire serving!!  They were super yummy and satisfying, but you could also customize them to your tastes, just be aware that the points might change. 

Recipe:
serves 2 as an entrée, serves more for an appetizer
1 box washed and dried mushrooms
1/2 c.  Trader Joes light shredded Mexican cheese
1/4 head of broccoli, finely chopped (I used two florets? of broccoli from the head)
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp garlic seasoning ( I used Tastefully Simple’s Garlic Garlic)
IMG_7568
IMG_7571
IMG_7572
IMG_7574
Remove the stems from your mushrooms.  I use a spoon to do this.  Dice the stems and reserve in bowl.  Place the mushrooms cap side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.  In the bowl with the diced stems add the chopped broccoli, onion, poultry seasoning and garlic seasoning.  Stir together and fill each mushroom cap with a spoonful. You will need to use your fingers to gently press the stuffing into place.  Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.  Bake at 375 until the cheese is browned on top and mushroom caps are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
Kim