Monday, March 5, 2012

D.I.Y. Sweets: Skinny Snowball Cake


IMG_6587
Sunday we celebrated my dad’s birthday with a little brunch and cake.  As long as I can remember my dad has been a fan of those packaged snowball cupcakes that you can buy at the store.  This year he has decided to join Weight Watchers, so since now there are more people on WW than not in my family I really wanted to do a WW friendly cake.  I thought for days on how to make this and keep it fairly accurate to the original without going calorie cray cray.  The final result is a pretty good cake for 8 pts per slice (1/12 of the cake).  It’ s not 100% a copy of the original, the inside filling is more cheesecake like that the cream on the original.  You could totally make this full fat if you aren’t watching your calories.
IMG_6591
Snowball Cake recipe:
1 box chocolate fudge flavored cake mix
12 oz cherry Coke zero
8 oz light cream cheese
2 tbs granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
IMG_6560
In your mixing bowl mix the cake mix and soda until there are no lumps.  Pour into a greased bowl. I used a pyrex mixing bowl, it can be whatever size you like it just needs to be oven safe.
IMG_6561
In a separate bowl mix the cream cheese, egg, vanilla and sugar.  Beat well until smooth.  Carefully and slowly pour into the middle of the cake mix.  I used a spoon to help make a well to pour the mixture into.
Place in the oven at 350 and bake until a tester comes out clean.  Mine took almost an hour, but it will really depend on the depth/width of your bowl.
Let the cake cool and turn out onto a cake plate.
Marshmallow frosting:
1- 7 oz. container of marshmallow cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. shredded coconut
food coloring –optional
IMG_6584
In a mixing bowl combine the marshmallow cream and powdered sugar.  Frost the cake with this mixture.  It will be kind of sticky.
IMG_6585
In a baggie mix your coconut with a drop of pink food color until tinted.  Press into the frosting.
WW pts + 8 per 1/12 of the cake
*note, I did have  bit of trouble with the frosting wanting to slide off of my cake a little bit.  This might be solved by adding more sugar but it may also raise the points per serving.