Thursday, July 28, 2011

D.I.Y. Ice Cream Party


I've been thinking about ice cream a lot lately (it goes really well with the Weight Watchers that I'm on) and wanting to make it myself.  I think it's just so hot that doing anything major at the stove or oven is a pretty big turn off.  Plus, ice cream is great.  So this weekend I got up super early one morning, dug the ice cream maker out of the basement and got to work.  My ice cream maker is really big, I think it makes about 6 quarts full.  I made right around 4.  I had several requests for flavors, my daughter asked for peach, I wanted cherry chocolate chip and the husband said plain vanilla.  So instead of making 3 flavors I made vanilla and added in the extra ingredients before freezing.  This ice cream was better in my opinion once it had frozen up the next day, although we did eat it when it was in a soft serve stage that day. 

 I also made some dipped ice cream cones to make it extra special for the kids.  All you need is a few cones, some melted chocolate chips and sprinkles.

Vanilla Ice cream
(you can half this recipe for smaller batches)
5 c. Heavy Cream
3c. whole milk
3 tsp vanilla extract
10 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt

In a large pan combine milk, cream and vanilla heat until it simmers but does not boil.  Meanwhile combine egg yolks, sugar and salt in a bowl and combine until incorporated.  Add a tbs at a time of the hot cream mixture to the eggs and quickly whisk, continue to do this until you have mixed a third of the cream mixture into the egg mixture.  Now pour the egg mixture back into the cream mixture and briskly whisk.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly  until the mixture covers the back of the spoon.  It should leave a mark when you run your finger across the back of the spoon.  Pour into a bowl of your ice cream maker container and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.  The mixture should be well chilled before going into the machine, this will help prevent it from becoming icy.  Churn according to your machines instructions.  When the machine is done churning transfer to airtight containers.  You can at this time add in ingredients.

Peach Variation
(makes enough to stir into 1/3 of vanilla ice cream, triple for entire batch)
Chop three fresh peaches and place in pan.  Mix in 1 c. sugar.  Cook until mixture thickens. (30-45 minutes)  Let cool.  Stir into ice cream and freeze.  Cooking the peaches wit the sugar helps keep the ice cream from getting too icy.

Cherry Vanilla Variation
(makes enough to stir into 1/3 of vanilla ice cream, triple for entire batch)
1 c. chopped fresh black cherries
1/2 c. chopped dark chocolate
Mix ingredients into churned ice cream and freeze.