Friday, March 14, 2014

Gold Dipped Wine Glasses

Gold Paint Dipped Wine Glasses

When planning for my Oscar Party, I knew it was the perfect time to jump on the gold painted wine glass bandwagon and create some fancy-pants glasses for the occasion.  I found these affordable stemless wine glasses at Ross Dress for Less that were perfect for the look I wanted.

Pinterest is full of some really great ideas, but my favorite look (and seemingly most popular pin) was Martha Stewart’s gilded glasses.  Dipping the glasses creates an easy, smooth finish that’s hard to recreate with a brush or sponge.  Only, to create Martha’s dipped look, she instructed you to use heavy-duty clamps, and some sort of hanging contraption so the excess paint will drip off of the glass flawlessly.  Now, I don’t know about you, but even as a crafty gal with a room full of crafty hoard, I don’t own either of these things.  And I had no desire to buy or build them, either.

So here is my alternative method for creating a similar look, without the need to hang the glasses for drip-drying.

Gold Paint Dipped Wine Glasses

Gold Dipped Wine Glasses

Gold Paint Dipped Wine Glasses

Supplies needed: Wine glasses, gold glass paint, washi or painters tape, exacto knife, bowl or container that will accommodate the wine glass (I used a paper bowl), and a drying rack or small items to sit the glasses on while they drip dry (I used tealight tins turned upside down).  You’ll also want some newspaper to cover your workspace.

Gold Paint Dipped Wine Glasses

1) Tape off the bottom of the glasses.  2) Use the exacto knife to cut off the excess tape so that only the bottom is covered. 3) Dip the glasses in the gold paint, coming up the sides to create the look you want.  Shake off as much excess paint as you can for at least 30-seconds.  4) Set the glasses on your drying piece(s). 5) Let dry before removing the tape from the bottom.  6) If you still have globs of paint on the bottom, use a scraping to tool to smooth.  7) Refer to the directions on your paint for curing time and procedures.

If you want more paint on the bottom or other side of the glass, you can do that.  If you want a more uniform look to each glass, use painters tape to create those lines. 

Gold Paint Dipped Wine GlassesGold Paint Dipped Wine Glasses

Have you attempted to paint or dip wine glasses?  What are your best tricks for getting a smooth finish?  I’d love to hear your tips and see your pics!

Happy glass painting, DIY’ers!

~julee~

Watch me demo this project on WDRB in the Morning: