Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Make It: DIY Seashell Candle

Hot summer days make me want to convert my whole house into a beach cottage.  I’m always trying to find ways to display the vacation treasures we bring home each year, and turning seashells into candles is a simple way to use some of many shells we collect.

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

DIY Seashell Candle Tutorial

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

1) Start with deep shells that have been soaked in a bleach and water solution and a tealight candle.  (You can also purchase wicks and candle wax at the craft store.)

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

2)  Take apart the tealight candle and remove the wick and metal plate.

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

3) Place the wax back into the metal tin without the wick.  Use a candle burner or double broiler to melt the wax.

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

4)  Once the wax is melted, use tongs to pick up the metal tin.  (I placed rubber bands around my tongs to keep them from slipping.) 

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

5)  Pour the melted wax into the shell. 

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

6)  Place the wick and metal plate into the melted wax. 

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

7)  Let the wax harden thoroughly. 

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

Enjoy your beautiful  shell candle!

DIY Seashell Candles Shell Craft Tutorial

Happy summer crafting, DIY’ers!

~julee~

14 comments:

  1. They are sweet Julee! I really love this idea. I also love a beach vibe in the house in summer. An actual cottage would be even better, but what can you do? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making beach candles when I was a kid by putting sand from the beach into a bucket and pouring the wax into a hole in the sand. These are a great addition to a beach candle collection - and quite a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love candles and this is such an easy and unique idea! Wishing I still lived near the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea, I am going to make some of these for some of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a neat idea. I'm going to make some, I picked up a lot of extra shells at the beach when I was there a few weeks ago, now I know what I'm doing with them. Pinned it also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea! It would be perfect to use all the sea shells my daughter collects every time we go to the beach. I love how easy it is also. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. REALLY LIKE THIS IDEAL--THEY ARE PRETTY....

    ReplyDelete
  8. THese candles are so nice. I am going to make one. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute and look super easy to make. I think I will do some of these and give as Christmas gifts.

    skater425@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out really pretty Julie! Do you know how I could melt left over candles? I got a lot but I don't really want to throw them away hehehe! Anyway, I really love this idea. thanks for sharing!

    Kaye
    http://itsmekikay.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great idea, they look so good! Just popped over from the blog hop :) new follower xx

    Handbags To Change Bags - Mummy & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat idea!! I love this idea!! I'll have to try it out with my kids soon!! Thanks for the great simple idea! I'm a new Twitter and Pinterest follower from the I Love My Post Blog Hop! I would love a follow back :) You can find me at My Kind Of Introduction - http://faerieflysavingsmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! I love how you reused some votives instead of totally melting new wax. I hadn't thought to do that, but I could totally use scented votives I already have! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, thank you! Please leave me a link to your blog so that I may pay you a visit, as well. I try very hard to follow back all of my readers!