Thursday, January 5, 2012

Weight Watchers Lemon Dessert


I was looking for something light to make for New Years Eve, something that would please all the different tastes in my family.  That's a pretty tall order.  I had in my head that I wanted to make a trifle, because I have a trifle dish that is rarely used.  Of course when it came time to actually put the dessert together the dish was M.I.A., so if you have my trifle dish let me know, okay?  This is kind of the story of my life, I plan everything around a certain dish or table cloth or piece of clothing and then can't find it.  Add be more organized to my growing New Years Resolution list.  So anyways this is the dish I put together.  It feeds about 12 and is sooo good.  I think it's my favorite WW recipe that I have made up so far.  It has 5 pts per serving.  Pretty good for such a yummy dessert and it would be great for summer too!  Here is the recipe:

Lemon Dessert

Cake
1 box yellow cake mix (you can use sugar free but I used regular)
1 can diet lemon soda (I used Ski, but I think Mello Yello would work well too)

Mix the box mix with the soda, pour into a lightly greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 until cake tester comes out clean 25-30 min.

Lemon Pudding filling
2 boxes sugar free instant lemon pudding
3 c. skim milk
1/2 large tub of sugar free Cool Whip

Mix the pudding with the milk until thick, fold in the Cool Whip.

Directions
Cut the cake up into small cubes about 1 inch in size.  Place about 1/2 of them in the bottom of the dish.  Layer 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top.

Repeat with other half of the cake and pudding.  I topped mine with the remaining Cool Whip and homemade lemon curd.  The lemon curd really gives it that extra lemon pop.  I used this recipe from Eating Well.  Chill until ready to serve.  You could also serve them in individual glasses.

Me, in the kitchen.  This is reality, when I cook I make a big mess.  Also, I swear I washed my hand after that. :)