Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Three Pea and Tofu Stir Fry

IMG_7542
I’m going to call it, this is my current fav meal.  I’ve made it twice in the last week and eaten leftovers for lunch twice.  It’s one of those meals that tastes as good if not better than something you can get at a restaurant.  The flavors together are super yummy, it’s a relatively quick meal to make and it’s healthy and meat free.  I saw the idea for a three pea, tofu and cashew stir fry in an Eating Well Magazine, but I heavily altered this recipe.  I made my own sauce, and switched pressed tofu for Trader Joes teriyaki tofu.  Even my kids love this recipe!

Recipe: feeds 6-8
1.5 cups of sugar snap peas trimmed
1.5 cups of snow peas trimmed
1 c. frozen green peas
1 block teriyaki tofu (mine is from Trader Joes)
2 c. cooked brown rice
Chopped cashews for sprinkling on top
2 tbs all natural peanut butter
Sauce:
3/4 c. lite soy sauce
1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs chopped basil (  I used frozen)
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp dried minced onion
(optional red pepper flakes if not serving to kids, we put ours on top after just for the adults)

In a hot pan coated with 1tbs olive oil cook the tofu until lightly browned on the outside, add the three kinds of peas and the garlic and basil.  Cook until peas are bright green and cooked but still crisp.  Add the peanut butter and stir.  In a separate bowl mix the sauce ingredients.  Pour over the stir fry and mix until incorporated with the peanut butter.  Cook for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens.  If the sauce is too thick you can add a little more coconut milk.  If the sauce is too thin you can add a little more peanut butter.  Serve immediately over cooked rice, sprinkle chopped cashews over the top right before serving.

Kim