Tuesday, March 13, 2012

D.I.Y. Sweets: Skinny Cherry Muffins

IMG_6673
Recently I had dinner with my parents at a chain restaurant and my mom ordered cherry bread as a side.  I was pretty jealous, because I love all things cherry.  I didn’t try any because I could just tell that the calorie count was through the roof, but I did ogle it quite a bit.  I’m not going to lie, that cherry bread has been on my mind for a while now.  Then today I saw some diet cherry 7UP sitting on my counter and had a light bulb moment.  Why not recreate them in a Weight Watchers friendly form?  So that’s what I did this morning.  These are 2 pts each on Weight Watchers and the recipe makes about 26.  You could freeze some for later or give them to a friend. 

Skinny Cherry Muffins
1 box yellow cake mix
10 oz cherry 7UP
25 diced maraschino cherries and 1 tbsp liquid from cherries
IMG_6674
(These heart shaped mini tins are from a million years ago, made by Reynolds.  I wish I could find them again, but I don’t think they make them anymore Sad smile)
In a bowl combine the cake mix and soda and beat until no large lumps are remaining.  Add the cherries and liquid and stir until combined.  Pour into paper cupcake liners about 3/4 full.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. 
These came out so moist and the flavor is just perfect!
* Yes, I know these are full of chemicals and red dye.  I eat super healthy 95% of the time, naturally and organically.  Every once in a while I want something sweet and dessert like that doesn’t break my Weight Watchers points for the day.  I live by the “all things in moderation” code.  If you aren’t trying to lose weight you could certainly make these with out the soda and use a from scratch cake recipe.  I would suggest adding in fresh cherries and cherry juice, to avoid the red dye.