Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Make It: Canvas Photo Transfer

Lately, some of my favorite pictures have been on Instagram and I've been looking for creative ways to display them.  Turns out that transferring them onto canvas and wood is easy and gives the images a cool weathered touch that I really love.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

You can find canvas or wood blocks that are square which is perfect for Instagram photos.  I've put together a tutorial showing how I made the canvas photo transfer.  The process is exactly the same for making a wood photo transfer.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial / Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Supplies needed: 
Canvas or Wood Block
Image printed from an inkjet printer on regular printer paper (not photo paper).  Also, print your image in reverse if possible.  This is especially important if your image has words on it.
Gel Medium
Sponge
Mod Podge
Water and wet sponge or rag (not shown)

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer TutorialCanvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Step 1) Spread a nice, even, thin coating of gel medium on your canvas or wood block.  Do not let it get gloppy or thick in any spots or the paper will rip when you put the picture on.  Also, do not miss any spots or the ink will not transfer in that area.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Step 2) Carefully place your image face down on the canvas or wood block.  Make sure the image is straight and places where you want it because you will not be able to move it once it’s down.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Step 3) Use your hands to firmly press down and rub over your image.  Make sure not to miss any spots.  If you have any globs of gel medium underneath, try to push them out to the sides and wipe away any excess. 

Step 4)  Let your image dry over night.  You want it to dry for 8 – 24 hours.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Step 5) After the image has been sitting for at least 8 hours, use a wet sponge or rag and saturate the image.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Step 6)  Lightly rub and carefully begin removing the paper from the image.  I found using your hands instead of the sponge worked a little better.  The ink will be transferred to the canvas or wood.  When working with canvas, do not rub too aggressively or the ink will come off.  Alternately, if you want a weathered look in some areas or on the edges, rub aggressively in those spots and the ink will begin to pull away.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

Step 7)  Once the image is how you want it, let it dry.  After it is dry, spread an even coating of Mod Podge over your canvas or wood block to seal the image.

Canvas Photo Transfer Tutorial Wood Photo Transfer Tutorial

That’s it!  Now you have a cool image to place in your home or give as a gift.

Happy DIY’ing!

~julee~

24 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to try this, and yours turned out so well! Thanks for the step by step instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm going to add this to my DIY to-do list! Thanks for sharing, Julee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so darling! love this! can't wait to try it out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I absolutely cannot wait to give it a try. I found your blog on the ILMP Blog Hop and am now following via BlogLovin. Hope you'll stop by my site and visit for a while!
    -Maggie
    www.maggiethemrs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial. I would love to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. We can't wait to see what you have for us this week. The party starts at 8:00PM tonight.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial! Very informative. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so pretty! I would to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so pretty! I would to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. look so pretty and informative. Must give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial, must try this .

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! You did a fantastic job! I would love to try this!

    Thanks for sharing this super cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. must try this, it look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this tutorial! I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the tutorial. But, I have one quick question..I have always heard not to use inkjet that it doesn't work like a copy printer does. So inkjet does work? I hope so because I would love to try to do it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, inkjet is what I used and it worked great. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. Thank you for this tutorial. This turned out so wonderful. I think using your tutorial I am going to try to do one of these. I am just crossing my fingers that it turns out as well as your s did. Thanks again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. seems like a lot of work but the end result is just wonderful!
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my word I have been paying a fortune to have this done I never knew you could do it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am such a crafting idiot - but you made this sound so simple! And I always wondered what Mod Podge was used for - I always see it in Michaels (I just like to roam around the store - never buy anything!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am totally impressed of your creativity. I have seen lots of steps to turn photo into canvas but all are very difficult to design. I think that all these steps are very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! Your step by step instructions and your list of supplies is why I needed! Thanx.. Hopefully I can post my pix when I'm done��

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! Your step by step instructions and your list of supplies is why I needed! Thanx.. Hopefully I can post my pix when I'm done��

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, thank you! Please leave me a link to your blog so that I may pay you a visit, as well. I try very hard to follow back all of my readers!