Monday, December 10, 2012

DIY Home: Vintage Advent Calendar

vintage handmade advent calendar

This vintage advent calendar was handmade by my grandma and has been used by my family every holiday for almost 40 years.  Taking turns with my brothers each day to dig out the little sweet and place the new day’s little beaded felt ornament on the tree is one my favorite Christmas memories.

My mom sent me this calendar so that I can attempt to make an exact replica from it.  Two years ago.  It it my firm intention to finish this project and send my mom back the original by next Christmas.  Until then, my daughter has been enjoying stumbling down each morning to find the little treats left behind in the night and counting down until Santa arrives. 

The greatest joy of parenting is sharing your joys with your child.

vintage handmade advent calendar

vintage handmade advent calendar

Do you have an advent calendar tradition?  What other traditions do you enjoy each holiday?

Happy tradition making, DIY’ers!

~julee~

12 comments:

  1. Nothing makes my heart happier than handmade vintage family pieces like this...so fun! :) We have an advent "house" with little doors for each year that we've been doing with the boys, but they still don't quite get it. I think next year we'll be able to take it more seriously instead of it being a place for them to hide all of their cars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I have no clue about these stuff. We do have stockings and each time I go to the store, I try to get something to fill it up. But that's it! I must say, this is such a cool way to keep your kids excited even before Christmas. I love the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love advent calendars! My sister and I would always get super excited when it was time to put it up. I think we were more excited about getting candy than Santa coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just so sweet. Love the history of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your grandma was a great crafter! Love the calendar! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is so cute. What a nice thing to have from your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I wish we could have kept our old chirstmas stuff. We used to have these clothespin nutcrackers and gingerbread cookie ornaments that I made with my grandma when i was really little but we lost all of it when we moved. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! we used to have one growing up and I still have it - excited to use it when we have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a nice tradition i think you mom is proud that you are continuing with it. when i was i child we had an advent wreath hanging from the ceiling. it has 4 candles and hung full with little present packets. one day my sister got one the other day me. when my children were young they had little sachets, each for a day, comprising small gifts or candies.
    enjoy your advent time, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when gals actually take the time to make things. I can follow instructions very well but taking the time to buy what I need and making something is another story. This is just sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, thank you! Please leave me a link to your blog so that I may pay you a visit, as well. I try very hard to follow back all of my readers!