Monday, December 5, 2011

Local Feature: Colette’s Cookies & Cakes

Colette's Cookies and Cakes

How adorable are these gingerbread houses?  Seriously adorable, that’s how. 

When I saw Colette’s gingerbread houses on her Facebook page, I just couldn’t wait to show them off to our D.I.Y. Louisville readers.  Lucky for those that are local, you can order your very own customized gingerbread house along with a variety of other sweets and breads for your upcoming holiday parties and dinners.  Colette is taking orders until Saturday, December 10th, so hurry and put in your order today!

Read below to learn more about Colette and her local Louisville business.

Colette’s Cookies & Cakes


Email/Ordering: colettecookie@gmail.com


Colette's Cookies and Cakes

What type of art do you make and when did you get your start?
I caught the cake decorating bug when my oldest daughter turned 5 and my neighbor offered the use of her set for the party cake.  After that I was hooked, had to go buy my own set, and then I taught myself out of a book.  That was 15 years ago!  You can see a sampling of my work at my website or facebook page.

What makes you D.I.Y.?
I make all this good stuff myself! 

How does your business impact Louisville?
My lovely gingerbread houses will bring Christmas cheer to the homes of Louisville residents...and my baked goods will bring a happy smile to their tummies!

What are you currently working on?
I am currently focused on making as many gingerbread houses as I can before Christmas Eve.  (I'm also mentally preparing for all the good stuff Valentine's will bring...but we can't go there quite yet!)

What is your favorite thing about running your business?
I love the smiles and amazement when people see the cakes and gingerbread houses, and then to hear them talk about how delicious they were makes me extra happy.

What is the most challenging aspect of your work?
I challenge myself to take my creativity to the next level and to make food items as yummy as possible.

Do you have any advice for aspiring artists/business owners?
Be yourself, express yourself, and see where it takes you.  Every day of your life counts, so do the best with it you possibly can, and then feel satisfied by that.

Share something silly about yourself.
I guess it's almost silly that I used to teach high school biology.  Or maybe that I have 5 kids?  Hmmm...I have asked my husband a few times what's silly about me, and I haven't gotten an answer yet.  I'm a pretty straightforward, positive person.  I love creating things!

How can we order a gingerbread house or other baked goods for the holidays, and when is the deadline to order?I am accepting gingerbread house orders through Saturday, Dec. 10th.  I might be able to fit a couple more in after that, so please email me and ask, but after the 10th, the price goes up with my time pressure.

Whatever your baking needs, send me an email to find out if I can do it and let me know when you'll need it by.  I like a good challenge.