Monday, September 19, 2011

The Birthday Bag

If you give my daughter a birthday party invite, chances are your kid will end up with one of these personalized tote bags.  They are my favorite go-to gift.  I’ve made so many, I can now whip them up in my sleep and my husband jokes that I will not stop until every girl we know has one. 


IMG_6690  IMG_6693IMG_6691  IMG_6695

I don’t know where I purchased this girl talk fabric, but I love it.  This bag was made for a neighbor friend.  We have 5 neighborhood girls, and they are all very much into the whole b.f.f. and secret girl club thing.  I added some pockets inside and my daughter picked out some crafty goodies to complete the gift.

IMG_6588  IMG_6587IMG_6590  IMG_6585

This bag was made for a schoolmate over the summer.  I thought the pocket would be a perfect snuggly place for my first ever Bit of Whimsy doll.  My daughter chose the guinea and helped me sew her.  I just love the imperfect little face.

Kim and I have both purchased Bit of Whimsy patterns, and found them to be easy to use, even for new sewers.  If you’re looking for a tote bag pattern, there are many many free tutorials online, but the reversible tote tutorial from Skip to my Lou is the one that I almost always use. 

Do you give handmade birthday party gifts?  If so, what are some of your favorite things to give?  Feel free to share your ideas in our comment section!

Happy sewing, D.I.Y.’ers! 
~julee~